We know that 2020 didn’t afford us many opportunities to catch our breath, and now 2021 is upon us in earnest. It is time to take advantage of your new-found enthusiasm and break from your day-to-day routines by getting started with 4 relatively simple things you should be doing for yourself and your business. So, where should you start? Here’s Partner, Kristen Buik‘s New Year goal list for business owners.
- Make room for the things you want
Right now, you might be wishing that your business or life looked different in 2021. Wishes don’t just come true, they take action. You need to do something different and make some room for the new stuff you want to usher in. You, like me, have a finite number of hours in a day and limited energy to expend. Make it your mission to remove things from your life that drain your time and energy. Every time I have removed something from my life that is holding me back — whether it was clutter, unwanted commitments, or an actual person — more of what I wanted started to flow. Give yourself space for the things you desire. What are the things you can stop doing to have more of what you want?
- Business check-in. Where are you now?
After making some space for more of the things you want in your life, it’s a great time to take a look at what’s working for you, and what isn’t, in your business. A few key questions to ask yourself while you work on a ‘start, stop, keep’ list:
- How do you feel about your business? Do you feel the same sense of inspiration and possibility as when you started? Or have you lost some enthusiasm?
- How are you spending your time in your business? Is your focus still on the work that you do best and that you love doing? Or have other tasks crowded your most important work off your plate?
- How do your clients make you feel? Do the people you work with leave you feeling energized or depleted?
- How did your business change last year? Lots of businesses had to make dramatic shifts in 2020. What changes did this year bring for you? For example, maybe you had to add or eliminate some offerings, or change how you deliver them.
- How did you change last year? 2020 led many of us to rethink what we care about and what we truly want to accomplish in this world. Did your values evolve? And does your business still reflect your values?
- Fine-tune your business
After making room in your life for more of what you enjoy and taking time to assess your business, you now have the valuable information you require to help you set the path for your business in 2021. Now it’s time to think about how to turn those insights into actions. Make a list of the steps you want to start taking based on your answers. Your list might include things like:
- Work with a coach to remove blocks, limiting beliefs or low energy thinking patterns.
- Consider delegating or outsourcing tasks you don’t enjoy so that you can focus on the work you love doing.
- Try something new – work on creating new offerings that will attract the customers you really want and allow you to live your values.
- Look at whether your website and other marketing materials reflect the changes in your business this year.
- Get clear on how your business can truly start supporting the life you want to live and the person you want to be. What needs to be removed or added?
- Refresh your brand
Now you have tweaked your business you are in a position to update and improve your brand to reflect your changes. The coronavirus pandemic has accelerated the shift to doing business online, which means that it is more important than ever to have a website and social channels that convey your uniqueness and expertise. Remember your website is your digital ‘front door’.
If creating the business and life of your dreams is on your to-do list for 2021, what are you waiting for?
And if you’re already feeling a sense of alignment with Altitude Advisory, we’d love to talk with you about how we can help you build the business and life you want.
Give us a call on 08 8170 1444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.